Saturday, June 14, 2014

Watch List #1

Wow! Over a year has gone by since my last post. I'd like to get back at it, so maybe this new idea of mine will work out better. I recently had the idea to keep a running list of movies that I watch, so that I can someday look back on it and realize how much time I've wasted.

I think Hobbes said it best.

Seriously though, this should give me a nice platform to publish the list. I'll also try to make occasional suggestions and notes, but I won't be providing loglines or plot summaries. That's what IMDb is for. But I'll do the hard work for you and provide a link in each movie title.

I started the list on April 22, so these first couple posts will just be used to catch up. Then I'll try to add a post every couple weeks. Here goes...


1. Rushmore
04/22/2014

This is one of my favorite Wes Anderson movies, and is definitely worth your time. This was Lindsey's first viewing, and she was laughing quite a bit. Something tells me it won't be the last.

"I like your nurse's uniform, Guy."

"These are OR scrubs."

"Oh, are they?"


2. That Awkward Moment
04/26/2014

I was looking forward to this one, but didn't expect a whole lot, so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be good. I'd say give it a shot. And Michael B. Jordan is someone to keep an eye on, especially with the new Fantastic Four coming out soon. He's also great in Chronicle.





3. Thank You For Smoking
04/26/2014

Hilarious! Satire at it's best! Aaron Eckhart has never been better, and William H. Macy is spot on. This is a must watch, and I can't say enough good things about it. It's one of my all-time favorite comedies.

"You never said anything about off the record."

"I presumed anything said while I was inside you was privileged."


4. A Perfect Getaway
04/27/2014

Lindsey & I love this movie. I'm a big Timothy Olyphant fan, and he really shines in this one. It's quite the tropical thriller, and should be watched a few times to take everything in (but that doesn't mean it's confusing). If/when we make it out to Hawaii, we're totally hiking the trail featured in the film.






5. Oblivion
04/27/2014

Another actor I love, Tom Cruise carries a pretty much solo effort in this apocolyptic sci-fi action thriller. Is that a genre? Anyway, this movie was way better than I expected, and that's even including the negative points for featuring Morgan Freeman (I'm apparently the only non-fan of his). Now if only Tom Cruise would make a nice drama again...



6. Robocop
04/30/2014

The original Robocop was quite the movie. It had a perfect balance of satire, gore, and heroic 80s action to elevate it's status to classic. The remake, not so much. Even though it's got some big stars and a big budget, it doesn't feel very polished. Maybe I was expecting too much, but...er, no I wasn't. This was a boring mess. But it still had some fun moments. I'd say skip, sadly.



Keep checking back, because I've got some other great ideas for content. Coming soon will be my Most Anticipated Movies Of 2014 list, as well as May's Watch List.


No comments:

Post a Comment