Saturday, June 14, 2014

Watch List #2

Here's my watch list for May. Pretty much a solid lineup, with 2 semi-duds.

7. The Counselor
05/02/2014

I heard a lot of bad things about this one, but went into it with an open mind. I actually found it to be awesome, and just as gripping and inescapable as a bolito. But I had already been warned that it was very "talky" and didn't have a whole lot of action. In a way, I'd compare it to No Country For Old Men.





8. Frequency
05/03/2014

This is another favorite of ours. The nostalgic feel works well for this type of thriller. And who doesn't love Jim Caviezel and Dennis Quaid? The story gets a little loose with the time travel element, but it's easy enough to overlook. Great movie for father's day.






9. The Cabin In The Woods
05/03/2014

I knew to expect something fresh for the horror genre, but I had no idea what. So I was definitely surprised. I'm not even a big horror fan, but this hit all the right chords for me. Also, the lead actress is totally Erin from the Office's sister. Thought I'd save you some time, so you don't spend hours trying to figure out who she reminds you of.




10. Dan In Real Life
05/03/2014

I hadn't seen this movie in years, so I had forgotten pretty much everything about it. I'm a big Steve Carell fan, and he does a pretty good job in this one. It's funny, but also a little dark. I'd describe it as an adult coming-of-age, if that makes sense.







11. The Monuments Men
05/03/2014

Our first dud of the month. I had pretty high expectations for this one, even though my family said it wasn't that great. I love WWII as a setting, so this had a lot going for it based on that alone. But the story was kinda weak, and it just didn't really flow. It wasn't horrible, but I'm not sure I'd care to see it again.





12. The Terminator
05/03/2014

A classic. And Lindsey's first viewing.















13. Jobs
05/05/2014

I'm not really sure why this wasn't better received. I loved it! But I'm a sucker for a good biopic. I'm not necessarily looking for the 100% true story, so I'm not going to complain when a couple liberties are taken to make the movie better. And I appreciate the filmmakers showing Jobs' darker side.






14. The Firm
05/06/2014

Another Tom Cruise film, but I'd consider this a miss. Our second and last dud of the month. The film took forever to get going, and it only really hit its stride at the very end. Not what I was expecting from a John Grisham "thriller."








A sequel that uses the villain from the first as the hero? This movie has everything working for it, and might be better than the original. Another classic for sure.










16. Neighbors
05/10/2014

Not the funniest movie of the summer, but still a decent one. Zac Efron and Dave Franco flesh out their characters a lot more than is typical for the frat boy role. Props for that. And the Creed joke made the movie for me. So awesome!








17. Inside Llewyn Davis
05/11/2014

Very dark and moody, this gem is definitely worth a watch. The original soundtrack is excellent, especially The Death Of Queen Jane. The scene it's featured in is the best of the movie. And Oscar Isaac's such a great actor. I can't wait to see him in Star Wars: Episode VII. You should also check out 10 Years. He really steals the show in that one.



18. Monsters University
05/15/2014

I'm picky with my Pixar movies. I just haven't cared for their last few efforts, and have read about the turmoil behind the scenes. But this sequel was quite good. Making Mike the lead instead of Sully was a great move.








19. Rock Star
05/17/2014

This is one of those movies that I could watch again and again. It's the little guy rising up, only to fall victim to the seedy nature of the industry. A rock and roll version of Boogie Nights. I love the music setting almost as much as I do WWII and high school, and it's very fleshed out here. After this, watch Almost Famous. Oh, Timothy Olyphant is great as always, and a young Miles Kennedy plays a small role.

"Breakfast, morning, noon, night. Gotta have it, man."


20. Stuck In Love
05/17/2014

I thought this was going to be a poor man's Crazy, Stupid, Love. Boy, was I wrong. Yeah, they have a similar theme, but this might have been better. This is my kind of love story, and I can't say enough good things about it. Greg Kinnear and Logan Lerman are great, but the story is what really brings this thing home. Watch this on your next date night.




Overall this was a good month, even if the movie count was a little low. Next up will probably be my Most Anticipated Movies Of 2014 list.


No comments:

Post a Comment